Toyotama Koryo co.,ltd.
our vision outline inquiries home
Corporate Profile
Our vision for the company's future development
Our Company's History Present Status of Our Company Customers of Our Products Future Destination
Our company's history
Foundation
Our company's history dates back to 1925, when the founder, Tatuzo Inoue, built a small-scale plant with his friend Tatuzo Okazawa in what was then Toyotama County. At the time of foundation, the company reportedly had only a few employees. Inoue, when he was 20 years old, worked for Mitsuwa Sekken as a dispenser and was engaged in the synthesis of aromatic chemicals together with seven research colleagues. He resigned from Mitsuwa Sekken around 1918 along with the section manager, So Kai, who later became the founder of Takasago International Corp., and worked for a pharmaceutical company for several years. In 1923, when the great Kanto earthquake took place, he was working for Takasago in Kamata.
Inoue founded Toyotama Koryo Seizosho only seven years after his resignation from Mitsuwa Sekken. The present Toyotama Koryo was founded in 1951. It was capitalized at ¥20,000,000 at first, but its capital was later increased to ¥100,000,000.


Pre-war and post-war periods
In 1931, Inoue acquired 2,640 m2 of land in Shibaura. Having parted from his friend and becoming independent, he introduced extensive production facilities and increased the number of employees to over 20, including chemical engineers. In those days, the company operated mostly as a fragrance material supplier manufacturing synthetic aromatic chemicals, raw materials for a formulator, and selling them to other flavor and fragrance companies in Osaka.
In 1937, the company built a branch factory (2,640 m2) in Okitsu, Shizuoka and started orange-peel oil production. A factory was also established in Mukden, Manchuria, and direct trade was started with local perfumers.
In 1945, the company moved its synthetic aromatic chemical production facilities to Okitsu to continue production because the Shibaura plant burned down in an air raid. A laboratory was opened in Honjo and flavor essences were developed under the guidance of Dr. Takagi, then professor of Tokyo University.
After the war, the company restored the Shibaura factory, resumed production and finally began supplying its own flavors and fragrances to end-users such as Shiseido, Yanagiya, Gyunyu Sekken, etc. It is particularly noteworthy in our company's history that it produced Coumarin, Heloptropine, Vanilline, Methyl ionone, Geraniol, Citronellol, Hydroxycitronellol Linalool, Linallyl acetate, etc., which were products requiring advanced technology among the synthetic aromatic chemicals in the early stage of the post-war period.
When the country was opened for international trade after the war, natural and synthetic aromatic chemicals were imported from overseas, although under a license system. The company started direct international trade in 1949 and imported major raw materials for synthetic aromatic chemicals such as Citeronella oil (Taiwan, Indonesia), Lemongrass oil (India) and Bois de Rose (Brazil). At that time, the production and sales of camphor was monopolized by the Ministry of Finance, so the company procured an oil byproduct (red oil) from Saisei Shono, an affiliate of the Monopoly Bureau, and started to produce and export Safrol and Heliotropine. The first synthetic aromatic chemical exported from Japan after the war was 1 t of Heliotropine shipped to Allondon SA of Switzerland (later acquired by Firmenich SA). An exchange rate of 740/dollar approved by the Japan Foreign Trade Corporation ensured profits for the transaction.
With the development of the aromatic chemical business, the company formed a cooperative relation with Tokyo Boeki (the future Mitsubishi Corp.) in 1955. This led to the large-scale production of styrene oxide and phenylethylalcohol undertaken at a newly built plant in Odawara by importing the raw material styrene monomer, and the commencement of global sales of the company's own products later. This was an epoch-making event for the company.
Later, the company acquired 19,800 m2 of land in the Hazaki area of Kashima and expanded the production of these products, which continued until an alliance was formed with Sumitomo Chemical Co.
  next
  Copyright© Toyotama International Inc. All rights reserved.